Every year about now, I spend a lot of time with my weight loss clients going over a game plan for how they will handle their eating during the holidays. There’s nothing more frustrating for those clients (and me), than for them to take three steps backward during the holidays. I adjust their goals and ask them to try to maintain their weight from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day. If they lose weight, great, but if they don’t, then they don’t feel like they have failed.
Today I’m sharing five of my tips for staying on track:
1. Try to continue working out at the same frequency and level that you do the rest of the year. Sign your family up for a turkey trot on Thanksgiving morning, or go for a walk after you eat on Thanksgiving/Christmas afternoon. Keep moving, but make sure you’re having fun. Every minute you’re outside, you’re not inside nibbling on pie and ice cream.
2. If you’re ask to bring something to a friend or relative’s house for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, ask them what’s on the menu. Then offer to bring a lite appetizer or side dish that compliments the meal. Cooking Lite has some great recipes to check out!
3. Make good choices and pace yourself on the alcohol consumption at parties. Keep in mind that there are far fewer calories in wine than most cocktails. Also, try to drink a glass/bottle of water between each alcoholic beverage.
4. Try to avoid having your holiday weaknesses in the house. For me, it’s Southern Comfort eggnog… I used to scoop it up when I’d first see it in the stores in early November, but it would never last until I really planned to serve it closer to Christmas. These days, I buy it as I need it for entertaining.
5. Enjoy yourself, and for goodness sake, don’t spend six weeks completely denying yourself of everything yummy and delicious. Do the best that you can, have fun, try your hardest to be healthy, don’t beat yourself up for little slips, and most importantly, get back on track as soon as the holidays are over!
Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for a chance to win three free pairs of Feetures socks! You can enter daily until the contest ends on Sunday night.
Rules to enter my Feetures giveaway:
- You are allowed to enter every day during this period. The more times and ways you enter, the greater your chances of winning.
- Shipping is available only in the continental United States.
- Winners will be selected by Rafflecopter at midnight on Sunday, November 9, and announced by Tuesday, November 11.
- Once the winner is announced, that person will have until Friday, November 14 (my birthday) to claim the prize. If the winner fails to claim their prize, another winner will be chosen.
- Relatives of Deb Runs are not eligible to win.
To enter for a chance to win a three pairs of Feetures socks,
please use the Rafflecopter app below.
- What are your tricks for staying on track during the holidays?
- Do you usually maintain your weight from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day?
- Who’s racing this weekend?