This year, the word selfie has been added to Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary:
self·ie : an image of oneself taken by oneself using a digital camera especially for posting on social networks
I started this blog post last summer at the beach after I took my very first selfie in the car on our way to the Outer Banks. Six hours in the car will do that to you!
There are many types of selfies: individual, group, funny, serious, action, posed, smiley-faced, duck-faced, seasonal, themed; you get the idea. But today, I am only going to be talking about running related selfies. No heavy make-up, push-up bras, mini skirts, four-inch heels, and cocktails in these selfies!
There’s the action selfie
The watch and feet selfie
(runners LOVE these)
And then there’s the artistic trail selfie
The muddy trail selfie
The water-rushing-over-the-feet to cool-down selfie
The color coordinated selfie
The first snow of the season selfie
The camera-flipped-around selfie
And the balancing on one foot selfie
All of the selfies above are easy to take; you just point and shoot. It’s the legs moving, camera bouncing, action selfie that’s a challenge for a runner to take. And this is what separates the rookies from the pros.
Here are my secrets for taking a perfect running selfie:
1. First you need a camera with a fast shutter. I love my little Canon PowerShot Elph, but its shutter is on the slower side. My selfie skills improved greatly when I got my iPhone 5S.
2. You might have to take a lot of of pictures in order to get the right shot. The iPhone 5 allows you take a burst of pictures so you can choose the best frame out of the burst.
3. Don’t wait to snap the picture when your foot is extended out or you will get a picture of your knees with your feet hidden behind them.
4. Adjust how you hold your camera so you actually get your foot and leg in the picture; otherwise, it’s a picture of your running surface.
5. When taking a selfie of your face, be aware of what will be in the background of the picture.
6. If you just can’t master this skill, you can always stop and pose, but you must disclose that it’s a posed picture.
Now that I shared my secrets for taking the perfect running selfie, here’s my year in running!
The running in sand selfie
The running in grass selfie
The running on leaves selfie
The running in slush selfie
The running in snow selfie
- Selfie: always, occasionally, you’ve got to be kidding me?
- What’s your favorite type of selfie?
- Who’s going to the beach this summer?