I’m one of those people who actually enjoys working out – even lifting weights. For various reasons, many people despise the weight room. Some are intimidated by the huge torturous looking pieces of equipment, some find the repetitiveness of lifting boring, and others simply prefer to be a part of a group exercise class instead of working out on their own. And if I were a betting person, I’d bet that just about everyone reading my blog would rather be outside running than stuck in a gym.
As much as I love running, I enjoy strength training exercises, too, because I know how much strengthening my muscles helps make me a stronger runner, helps prevent injury, and helps increase my metabolism up. And just last week, one of my running friends complimented me on how muscular my back looks. Who doesn’t love hearing that?
While working out I visualize the muscles I’m using and focus my attention on their movements, and then target opposing muscles with a goal of maintaining muscle balance. Like anyone else, I have favorite exercises, exercises that I either refuse to do or I don’t have the strength to do, and exercises that I know are very good for me, yet I loathe performing them.
Yes, even trainers hate certain exercises. So what are the five exercises that I love to hate? The exercises that I know are good for me, but I roll my eyes whenever I’ve scheduled them for the day? Not surprising at all, the exercises that I enjoy the least are all body weight exercises that require no equipment because when lifting my body weight, I can’t cheat and use a lighter weight…
1. Side Star Plank – Great for working the core, obliques, and hip abductors… Also great for humbling the best of us!
2. Bulgarian Split Lunge – Great for working the quads, glutes, and adductors while creating knee stability… Also great entertainment for anyone watching me!
3. Burpees – Great for working the entire body, including the cardiovascular system… Also great for making even the fittest person want to barf!
4. Single Leg Squats – Great for working the quads, glutes, and leg stabilizers while creating hip, knee, and ankle stability… Also great for frustrating the heck out of me!
5. Lunge Jumps – Great for working the quads, hamstrings, calves, glutes, core, and cardiovascular system… Also great for making my clients give me dirty looks!
So there you have it, my five favorite exercises to complain about! And believe it or not, I love doing push-ups!
- Do you enjoy lifting weights?
- If so, what’s your favorite and least favorite exercise?
- Are you racing this weekend?
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Today I’m joining the DC Trifecta’s Friday Five Linkup with Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What?!, and Mar at Mar on the Run! Please stop by these DC area bloggers’ blogs to say hello; and while you’re there, be sure to check out other bloggers who are also participating in the linkup.