By now everyone is well aware that I became injured in early December and wasn’t really able to run again until last week. If suddenly I’m posting cyclies instead of runfies on Instagram, something must be up, right? I mean – I’m Deb Runs, not Deb Spins!
I took the last half of December off to let my back calm down, and once January hit I started riding my spin bike to keep my cardio fitness level up. I have also been very conscious about getting three strength training sessions in each week, and working my core hard during my workouts. It’s all about engaging my core to help prevent my back from acting up again.
So what exactly have I been doing? Here are five snapshots…
1. During one of my Saturday morning rides, Bill set up our GoPro and captured this fun picture! Each Saturday while Bill and my friends were braving the winter cold for their group runs, I rode my bike 20 miles.
2. With a brand new treadmill that I was only able to use once before I had to stop running, it proved very beneficial in being able to continue to workout with friends. Erin was sweet enough to join me for a cardio workout at my house!
3. One of my goals for 2015 is to get back to doing push-ups with a full range of motion. I’ve gotten lazy the last couple of years, and either skipped doing them altogether, or didn’t push myself to do them correctly.
4. Last week I was finally able to run a mile on my treadmill; then two, then three. Early Tuesday morning, I met my MRTT friends for a run for the first time in six weeks. They were kind enough to slow down for me, and we ran four comfortable miles. It was incredibly cold, and it felt marvelous to be outside.
5. Thursday morning’s MRTT run brought us a special treat . Nelson joined us for five miles and kept a very steady 9:15 to 9:25 pace. He’s part black lab, part something else, and a whole lot of cuteness rolled into one pup. He was a trouper and seemed to be having a lot of fun, but not as much as I was. It’s good to be back!
Yes, indeed, it’s good to be back!
This has been part of the Friday Five linkup with DC area bloggers Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What?!, and Mar at Mar on the Run! Be sure to stop by their blogs and say hello!
- What have been your recent fitness snapshots?
- Be honest, are you good about cross-training?
- When is your next race?