Listing these five memories didn’t take much thinking, and I rolled these out in a matter of minutes because they are without a doubt my top and favorite race memories.
1. It goes without saying that my first marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon, is my favorite memory. I had very specific goals for that race, and I met them. My number one goal was to finish, and my number two goal was to qualify for Boston. I completed both goals in the pouring rain that day, and I was thrilled!
2. My second favorite race memory was my marathon PR at Steamtown. Two years after my first marathon, I ran a 3:29:04 and haven’t been able to beat that time. I was so overcome with emotion when I met my sub-3:30 goal that I cried. And then I called Bill and my Dad. I also finished third in the masters division that day.
3. My 2010 Boston Marathon is my third favorite race memory. The Cruisers had a road trip to Boston and even got upgraded to the Presidential suite at the Hyatt. It was a amazing weekend that I will never forget!
4. The JFK 50-Mile Ultramarathon ranks as my fourth favorite race memory. Running for 10:50 straight is something you’ll never forget. I ran with my best racing friend and mentor Miles, and enjoyed the benefits of an amazing crew. Without them, I couldn’t have done it!
5. Without a doubt, Bill’s first marathon in 2000 at Marathon In The Parks ranks high as one of my favorite race memories. That day we added a whole new level of fun to our marriage. I can’t even begin to guess the thousands of of miles we’ve run together since that day!
- If you’re a runner, what are your favorite running memories?
- What fun things are on your weekend agenda?
- Who’s racing this weekend?
Happy Running! ~ Deb