Remember this summer when I shared photos from my parents’ garden? Mom sent us home yesterday with a basket full of just picked tomatoes! This basket was overflowing with tomatoes until I shared with Joseph, Julie, and some friends!
There’s nothing like a freshly sliced garden tomato!
Interesting facts about tomatoes:
- Tomatoes are members of the nightshade family
- Tomatoes were once thought to be poisonous
- There are over 10,000 varieties of tomatoes
- Tomatoes are are the world’s most favorite fruit
- Tomatoes contain lycopene which is thought to prevent some forms of cancer
- Eating too many tomato plant leaves can cause poisoning (Who eats tomato leaves?)
- Tomatoes are highly acidic and can cause canker sores in the mouth
- Tomatoes are rich in vitamins C, A, and K and are a good source of potassium
- Tomatoes are low in calories (approximately 30 in an average tomato)
- Tomatoes are a good source of fiber
I may just have to become a tomato pinning machine, and perhaps I’ll make a tomato dessert… Which recipes look best to you?
And finally, don’t forget about my SPIbelt giveaway that ends tomorrow. To enter for a chance to win your very own Original SPIbelt, please use the Rafflecopter app below. Please be aware that specific colors are not guaranteed in the giveaway.
Rules to enter my SPIbelt giveaway:
- Winners will be selected by Rafflecopter at midnight on Tuesday, September 10, and announced on Wednesday, September 11.
- You are allowed to enter every day during this period. The more times and ways you enter, the greater your chances of winning.
- Shipping is available only in the continental United States.
- Once the winner is announced, that person will have until Friday, September 13 to claim the prize. If the winner fails to claim their prize, another winner will be chosen.
- Relatives of Deb Runs are not eligible to win.
- What’s your favorite home grown veggie?
- What are your favorite tomato recipes?
- Have you entered for a chance to win an Original SPIbelt??