Welcome to Race Linkup, a monthly linkup opening on the last Monday of every month and staying open for four weeks. Link your race schedule so everyone can see who else will be at the next race and we can arrange meet-ups with other bloggers and our readers. You can link up your race schedule every month or only when you register for an additional race – you choose how often you want to get your schedule out there for other runners to see. I’d love to have you link up, and if you do, please remember to follow my six simple rules.
In recent years, I have stopped registering for races too far out from the race date due to my fear of injury. Let’s face it, the older we get, the greater our chance of injury, so I usually try to err on the side of caution and wait as close to the race as I can to register. Sometimes, though, circumstances cause me to just go for it and register! Here are three such cases…
1. During last week’s snowstorm I threw caution to the wind and registered for December’s Run With Santa 5K, one of my favorite races. When I saw a one-day-only discount code, I jumped at the chance to register for $15 even though the race is eight months away. A lot can happen between now and then, but worst-case scenario, I either walk the race or lose only $15.
2. Saturday was the last day to register for the Hungry Mother 25K and be guaranteed a race shirt. At two weeks prior to race day and feeling no current aches or pains, I had no problem registering for it, plus I need more race shirts. 😉
3. Speaking of race shirts, this just arrived so I guess it’s official that I’m running the Grand Tetons Half on June 2nd. The national parks races put on by Vacation Races are expensive so I registered for it just before its most recent price increase. I splurged and bought this shirt because I love the colors (this picture doesn’t do the shirt color justice).
With these races officially added to my calendar, here’s where you’ll be able to find me this year…
April 7 – Hungry Mother 25K – Marion, VA
June 2 – Grand Tetons Half Marathon – Jackson, WY
June 9 – Utah Valley Half Marathon – Provo Canyon, UT (only on my radar at this point)
July 4 – Firecracker 5K – Reston, VA
November 22 – Ashburn Farm Thanksgiving Day 5K – Ashburn, VA
December 2 – Run With Santa 5K – Reston, VA
- How far in advance do you plan your racing calendar?
- Are you afraid you’ll jinx yourself if you register too early?
- Are you running any of the races I have on my schedule?
Hope to see you at a race!