This past week completed week 11 of my 16-week Run Less Run Faster (affiliate link) training cycle for my OBX Half Marathon. The week was all about getting back out on the trail taking walks and working toward increasing the range of motion in my knee after last week’s surgery.
I don’t think I’ve mentioned that the size of the unruly piece of skin removed from above my knee was about 3/4-inch diameter. As a result, the surgeon had to pull the surrounding skin extremely tightly before stitching it back together. Even as the incision heals and there’s no longer such a worry about popping the stitches, there’s an unnerving amount of pulling on the tightened skin.
This past week there were no track repeats, no tempo run, nor a long run; instead, this past week’s runs were replaced by relaxing walks.
In the gym, I was able to do much of my regular exercises. I’m still shying away from lunges and focusing on my weaker right side when doing single-leg squats and leg extensions. I am doing daily leg extensions without any resistance with my left leg as I work on increasing its range of motion as I gently force the skin to stretch to accommodate the movement.
Two weeks post surgery, I can’t wait to try a short, easy treadmill run tomorrow just to see how the leg moves. If all goes well, I’ll hit the track on Tuesday as I ease back into my fall training plan. With only five weeks remaining until the race, I’ve got a lot of work to do to make sure I’m ready to toe the starting line with my friends at the OBX Half Marathon. The hardest thing will be to listen to my healing leg, and not overdo it!
In case you missed it on the blog, this past week I posted the following articles:
- Wednesday – The Struggle Is As Real As You Make It
- Friday – Clear Margins, Comment Purgatory, and Fall Decorations
Looking ahead to this coming week, I’m working on the third post in my five-part series on capturing optimal running pictures and hope to have it up by Thursday.
With no running to highlight this past week, here’s a run-down of the limited number of other workouts I completed…
Fitness tools beyond the equipment in my gym that I used during the week included:
- Rodney Yee’s Complete Yoga For Beginners (affiliate link)
- Rodney Yee’s Intermediate Yoga (affiliate link)
- Rodney Yee’s Yoga Conditioning For Athletes (affiliate link)
- Tony Horton’s Ten Minute Trainer (affiliate link)
- Teeter Hang Ups Inversion (affiliate link)
Cameras used for blog photography include:
- GoPro Hero 4 (affiliate link)
- Canon Power Shot Elph (affiliate link)
- iPhone 6S (affiliate link)
- And the occasional picture taken by Bill
- Did you race this weekend? If so, tell me all about it so I can live vicariously through you. I wasn’t able to run the Army Ten-Miler today and I’m soooo bummed!
- What fun fall plans do you have coming up?
- Do you lift weights regularly?
Have a great week!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on the blue product link and then make a purchase, I will receive a commission for referring you. You will pay no more or less for the product; however, Amazon will show their gratitude for my referral by paying me.
Happy Running! ~ Deb