Cori over at OliveToRun seriously has some of the cutest ideas, and her survey series is one of my favorites. I’ve taken the liberty to pick my favorite questions from her series and answer them below…
1. Would you rather… Itch constantly or sneeze constantly as you’re running?
I have heat-induced hives so on some of my hot and humid runs I itch like crazy! I think I’d like to try sneezing!
2. Would you rather… Do a tempo run or hill repeats?
Before our Steamtown Marathon the Cruisers did weekly hill repeats, and I learned to loath them. These days I’m kind of digging tempo runs!
3. Would you rather… Have someone’s snot rocket hit you in the face or someone’s blood from chaffing hit you in the face?
I was hit by either spit or a snot rocket in the Marine Corps Marathon several years ago and I think the guy that did it was more mortified than I was. Since I’ve already experienced it, I get a pass on this one!
4. Would you rather… Get stuck in an elevator after a race with other people and have to pee, or get stuck in a porta-potty at your race?
What do you think? This pictures says it all! In fact, I think this should be my next running outfit!
5. Would you rather… Run a 5k or a marathon?
Three years ago I would have answered, “marathon” without a doubt. I would have told you that I was too lazy to run fast! These days since my marathon-side-lining injury, I’m kind of loving the shorter faster paced races!
6. Would you rather… Run in the heat of summer or the icy winter?
Miracles do happen and for some bizarre reason the heat doesn’t bother me nearly as much as it used to… Today I had TO RUN. AT NOON. IN AUGUST. and I didn’t hate it!
7. Would you rather… Run alone or in a group?
Hello!?! I formed the Cruisers didn’t I?
8. Would you rather… Run next to someone in a race who tries to talk to you constantly or someone who breathes heavy and grunts?
During one of my marathons I caught up with a woman around mile 17 that decided to settle in next to me and “run with me.” Normally I wouldn’t mind it at all and would have used her to push me; however, she had a metronome on her watch that beeped some sort of step cadence. I seriously thought I was going to kill her! I tried to let her go ahead at a water stop, but she hung with me. I ended up sprinting ahead to loose her. I guess I didn’t really answer the question, did I?
9. Would you rather run a PR but result in an injury or finish strong and miss a PR?
Since my #1 running goal is to run forever, I’ll let you guess which I’d choose!
10. Would you rather… Have no toenails or black toenails?
You can always paint your other toenails black, but it would be tacky to paint your skin! And without painted toesies, how would I rock these shoes at the post-race party?
11. Would you rather… Be injury free and a slow runner, or a fast runner with constant injuries?
My “sort of fast” days are long gone, so I’ll take slow and injury free!
12. Would you rather… Drink milk or soda as you run your race?
I grew up on a dairy farm and don’t like milk… I was rarely allowed to have a soda, so of course I LOVE it! What do you think I’d choose?
13. Would you rather… Be three feet taller or three feet shorter than you currently are?
Have you taken a whiff or your running shorts lately? Do you really want to be nose level with the other runners’ shorts after the race? I’ll take being three feet taller, thank you!
14. Would you rather… “Hit the wall” halfway through your race distance and struggle the rest of the way, or get close to the end feeling great the whole time but end up having to DNF?
DNF (Did Not Finish) isn’t in my vocabulary, so I WOULD struggle and finish… Of course I might regret it later if I did something stupid and injured myself.
15. Would you rather… Be a barefoot runner or wear running shoes all the time, even in bed?
Considering the shape my feet are in (I’ll be writing about them tomorrow), I’d rather live in my shoes. Bill might not like for me to sleep in them though!
- Pick any one (or more) of the above questions and answer it.
- What was the most annoying person you’ve run next to during a race doing that annoyed you?
- Where are you on the soda fence? Love it, hate it, or love to hate it?