I hope you’re having a fabulous National Running Day! Just to celebrate this special day, I’m going on two runs today! This morning I ran with my BRF Susan. We ran hill repeats and then ran our regular Wednesday morning route.
Do you remember what I promised I would do today? That’s right, I’m announcing my very first giveaway! One of my very favorite running books is Born To Run by Christopher McDougell. The day that I started my blog I ordered a copy to give to one of my readers; and then I decided what better day to do my first giveaway than on National Running Day!
I read Born To Run last summer as I was recovering from my back/sciatic nerve injury. I couldn’t believe how much reading the book helped me discover something that I had been doing for years, and yet as a running coach, I had not noticed this about myself. I realized that when I get tired (i.e. longer runs), I tend to allow my body to slouch and settle down into my pelvis, thus putting additional stress on the injured area of my spine. The discussion about running form says to imagine you have to sprint in your bare feet to protect your child from a danger. Under those circumstances, “you’ll automatically lock into perfect form – you’ll be up on your forefeet, with your back erect, head steady, arms high, elbows driving, and feet touching down quickly on the forefoot and kicking back toward your butt” (page 206). I tried this and couldn’t believe that my back pain disappeared! Today, anytime I notice back or leg pain, I adjust my running form and instantly feel better!
Rules to enter my Born To Run giveaway:
- Winners will be selected by Rafflecopter on Sunday, June 16.
- You are allowed to enter every day during this period. The more times and ways you enter, the greater your chances of winning.
- Once the winner is announced, that person will have until Friday, June 21 to claim the prize. If the winner fails to claim their prize, another winner will be chosen.
- Relatives of Deb Runs are not eligible to win.
- Have you read Born To Run; and if you already own the book, who would you give your new copy to?
- How did you celebrate National Running Day?
- Have you ever tried barefoot running?
Happy Running! ~ Deb