If you follow me on Instagram, you’re well aware that Bill and I drove down to the Outer Banks on Wednesday.  Bill’s parents built the beach house in 1987, and we now own it with his siblings.

We left our home early in the morning and arrived in Duck around 1 PM.  Our first stop was at the Coastal Cantina where we decided to treat ourselves to a margarita with lunch.  Don’t laugh, but this just might have been a first for me!

Bill ordered fish tacos and I got a grilled chicken salad.  Both were very good, but not nearly as good as the frozen margaritas.  They were perhaps the best I’ve ever had!  I’m the queen of margaritas, so that’s saying a lot!


The weather was perfect, and we had no choice but to sit outside.  Seriously, there wasn’t any indoor seating, but we didn’t complain because the weather was perfect and it sure didn’t hurt to have a view like this of Currituck Sound!


After a leisurely lunch, we headed north to Corolla and stopped at Harris Teeter to stock up on groceries before heading on to the beach house.  As you can see in the first picture, our beach house is on the 4-wheel drive section of OBX, and we don’t like to drive into town any more than we have to.

The breeze was coming in off of the ocean when we arrived which was great because that usually means that it’s a little cooler and less humid.  Our first order of business is taking down the hurricane shutters and getting the air conditioning turned on to cool off the house.  The breeze was amazing, and we were able to open the windows and cool the house down the old fashioned way!  That doesn’t happen very often in August here on the Outer Banks.


Our dinners usually consist of some sort of seafood, a veggie, and a salad.  Wednesday night was a salad, shrimp, and asparagus.


Low tide on Thursday was 10:30 AM, so we headed out around 11 for our run.  Running on the Outer Banks can be tricky, especially if you live on the 4-wheel drive section of the beach.  We either have to run at low tide, run in deep sand during high tide, or drive into town to run along the roads.

I forgot to bring any of my sun visors, so I had to borrow one of Bill’s hats.  It looked and felt terrible because it didn’t have a ponytail hole!


We hadn’t even gotten off of our deck when we saw the horses meandering toward our neighbor’s house.  We stopped and took a picture before heading on our way.


We set out for a 6-mile run, but then decided to run to the fence 3.5 miles south of our house with the plan to run a round-trip run of 7 miles.


On the way back we decided to stop running at 6.5 miles, and do a cool-down walk for the last half mile.  It was the longest half mile of my life!  Once back in front of our house, Bill took his shoes and socks off and walked in the cool surf.  I chose to just sit and chill.


After our run we checked out our neighbors’ little beach vehicle.  They use it to tote their beach umbrellas, chairs, drinks, etc. back and forth from their house to the beach.  They are retired and spend most of their summer down here, so they put it to good use!


And there you have it; the first of hopefully several great runs while vacationing on the Outer Banks!

  • Questions:
  • What’s on your agenda for the week?
  • What your favorite food and drink while at the beach?
  • Have you ever tried running on the sand?