Bill and I picked a perfect week (Tuesday through Friday) to head down to the Outer Banks for a few days of rest and relaxation – for me at least. Bill spent the entire time working, but at least his views were pretty darn good.
- Strength Train – 1 hour
- Rodney Yee’s Yoga Conditioning For Athletes (affiliate link) – Yoga for Runners
- Intervals – 1-mile warm-up, 6 x 800’s at 7:02, 7:07, 6:58, 6:44, and 7:10 paces (goal pace was 7:15), 1-mile cool-down
- Teeter Hang Ups (affiliate link) Inversion – 15 minutes
- Rodney Yee’s Complete Yoga For Beginners (affiliate link) – Yoga For Flexibility
Before heading to the beach on Tuesday, I met my MRTT friends for intervals at a local middle school. I ran on the W&OD Trail for my warm-up and just as I stepped through the clearing from the trail to the middle school, a mama fox and her three babies scattered. We see a fox almost every Thursday at that point on the trail, and I bet it was the same one. I couldn’t get my phone out quickly enough to take pictures of the four of them, and I barely got this picture of the mama running down the hill.
- Strength Training – 15 minutes
- Run/Walk – 2 miles
- Rodney Yee’s Intermediate Yoga (affiliate link) Sun Salutations
While Bill worked, I headed out for a short run/walk in the near perfect weather. We had a breeze coming in from the sound side, and I couldn’t resist running in the pools of water created by the spring tides.
After my run, I did yoga (followed by some planks) on the deck.
- Tempo Run On Sand – .25 mile warm-up walk, 5 tempo miles at 9:46, 9:46, 9:35, 9:12, 8:51, and 1.2 mile cool-down at 9:50 pace
- Walk – 3 Miles
- Yoga Basics
I got out a little late for my tempo run on Thursday morning, so the tide was heading back in significantly as I finished my run. Sections of the beach south of us have a flatter more gradual beach and it’s a much better place to run. Once I got down there, I ran my tempo miles back and forth there, and walked the rest of the way home once I finished my cool-down.
- Walk – 1 mile
With the cool weather, the wild horses were out and about the whole time we were there. On Friday morning we were treated to this territorial fight between two stallions. The darker horse had six other horses behind him cheering him on, and in the end, he won, sending the lighter brown horse back to where he’d come from.
The horse fight in the middle of the road, caused this Wild Horse tour group to have to stop and wait for the fight to end before continuing on. Those people certainly got their money’s worth!
After the fight, the remaining seven horses wondered around our house for a hour or so before moving on to more interesting places.
- Run – 8 miles at an 8:45 pace
- Core Training – 15 minutes
- Yoga for Runners
- Teeter Inversion – 15 minutes
We left the Outer Banks late on Friday afternoon and didn’t get home until after 11 PM. I opted to sleep in a little bit on Saturday morning which meant I had to run alone. I think I’ve finally recovered from Ragnar Trail Richmond Ultra because I’m finally hitting decent paces again.
I started running around 9:30 AM when the temps had already climbed to the high 70’s and finished with it in the 80’s. I felt good so I pushed it and managed to average an 8:45 pace for eight miles. While out, Bill passed by on his bike while heading out for his 44-mile ride.
- Walk – 4 miles
- Yoga for Flexibility
Today has been all about catching up after being gone for several days, and scheming on when we’re heading back to the beach.
- Weekly Overview:
- Weight Training: Monday and Wednesday
- Running: Tuesday – 5 miles, Thursday – 6.2 miles, Saturday 8 (Total: 19.2 miles)
- Biking: zero
- Walking: 10 miles
- Yoga: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday
- Teeter Inversion: Tuesday and Saturday
- Average Steps Per Day: 15,377
- Average Hours Sleep Per Night: 7:04 hours
- How’s the weather been where you live? ~ I heard it was delightful in Virginia, too, while we were at the beach.
- Random question – do you like sushi? ~ I tried my first sushi, yellowtail serrano, on Saturday night and really liked it!
- Did you race this weekend?
Have a great week!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on the blue product link and then make a purchase, I will receive a commission for referring you. You will pay no more or less for the product; however, Amazon will show their gratitude for my referral by paying me.