Our week started off on a high note with the Cruisers‘ annual Christmas party on Sunday evening. Each year we meet at a local Japanese sushi bar and steakhouse, and then come back to Bill’s and my home for dessert and a gift exchange. We keep it simple and always have such a fun time!


A few hours after going to bed I woke up violently ill and spent over an hour in the bathroom doing what violently ill people do. I went back to bed feeling much better, but exhausted from the ordeal. I’m pretty sure I’d just eaten too much rich food and, not used to it, my stomach rebelled. I’d gone to bed feeling perfectly fine, and later checked and no one else who’d eaten the shrimp or scallops had gotten sick, so I’m pretty sure it wasn’t food poisoning.

Monday morning I woke up feeling fine so I saw all of my clients as scheduled and even lifted weights and did yoga. Later in the day though, I took a 3.5-hour nap! Lost sleep, no appetite, and feeling puny will do that to you.

Monday evening I made a wine cork wreath with the supplies I’d bought for a wreath making party I’d been invited to attend on Sunday, but had skipped due to time restraints. Getting our Christmas cards in the mail had taken precedent over everything else…


Tuesday morning I met my girlfriends for a run. I was nervous that I’d lag behind, but had one of my better recent runs. Go figure. Perhaps it was the long nap…


Tuesday afternoon Bill and I headed out to visit my mom for a couple of days. I was going to help her put up her Christmas tree and take her shopping to a nearby town that she’d rather not drive to by herself, and Bill was going to work remotely.

Everything was going smoothly until we hit Radford and the interstate traffic came to a near standstill around 5:30 PM. We had the unfortunate luck of driving through the New River Valley just as a very isolated snow/ice event happened. With black ice covered by a thin layer of snow, we watch as cars and tractor trailers spun as they tried to climb even the tiniest of hills.

Waze sent us on a wild goose chase to avoid the standstill on I-81 and after 1:45:00 of slipping around the town in a giant circle, we checked into a hotel about a half mile from where we’d started. It was the second test we’d put our Jeep through – the first was driving on the sand on the Outer Banks – and it passed both with flying colors.


Instead of waking up at my mom’s house and heading out on a relaxing run in the country on Wednesday morning, I woke up in a hotel in an area I didn’t know (with icy conditions outside) and no cardio equipment in the workout room, so I didn’t get to run.

Once the roads cleared we took off for the remainder of the drive to Mom’s house. Mom and I immediately went to work and got her Christmas tree put up and decorated, but didn’t have time to go shopping. The following morning we baked two types of Christmas cookies before Bill and I had to return home.


Friday afternoon we had our own snow event at home, but it was more of the delightful type – pretty to look at, but not too dangerous. In fact, it created a soft covering on the trail and made for a very pretty run on Saturday morning.


Bill and I attended yet another Christmas party last night, this one in our old neighborhood. We have received four new invitations since last week’s recap – that’s eleven in one holiday season, tying our record. That year (about ten years ago) we were able to attend them all, but this year we missed/will be missing at least three.


In case you missed it on the blog, this past week I posted:

Looking ahead to this coming week, on Tuesday a certain little elf might make an appearance and on Thursday I’ll post my December Race Linkup, a few days early. Please feel free to join me and let your friends know which races they can find you running in 2018.


As I’ve described, it was another busy week, but I did find some time to get my workouts done; although, not as many as I would have liked. Here’s a run-down of my workouts from this past week…


Fitness tools beyond the equipment in my gym that I used during the week included:

Cameras used for blog photography include:


  • Questions:
  • Do you like running on snow or is that a no-go for you? ~ I love running on a soft layer of snow as long as it’s not slippery. 
  • What’s your favorite kind of cookie? ~ The ones pictured are called fudgy bonbons. It’s a Hershey’s hug wrapped in a chocolate cookie. We always pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to make the hug soft before we eat them. It’s like tasting a little bite of heaven!
  • Did you race this weekend? 


Have a great week!


Disclaimer:  This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on the blue product link and then make a purchase, I will receive a commission for referring you. You will pay no more or less for the product; however, Amazon will show their gratitude for my referral by paying me.




I’m linking up with Holly at HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin for their Weekly Wrap. Be sure to check out not only the hosts’ posts, but the other great bloggers joining in on the fun!