Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links…


Ready for the Lamb Part

The first half of the old saying, “If March comes in like a lion, it will go out like a lamb” is certainly true this year. Here’s hoping the latter half will come true as well. Seven days into the month of March and we’ve had our share of blustery days. I’m giving you until mid-March, Momma N to turn your act around. 😉 


Overview of the Week

Before discussing each day’s workouts, here’s an overview of my workouts from this past week. Scroll down for daily details…



Dreary and uninviting outside, at around 2:30 PM I hopped on my spin bike (affiliate link) for a 10-mile ride (16.8 MPH average speed) while chatting on the phone with my mom. I’d planned to ride longer, but decided to mix it up and move on to my treadmill (affiliate link) for a walk. I ended up walking 4 miles at a 20:00 average pace before stopping to stretch for 10 minutes.



I lifted for an hour before seeing my first early morning client, and then on a whim, I decided to go on a walk right after lunch (5K at a 14:19 average pace). It was 48° (feels like 44°) and overcast at 1:30 PM when I headed out.



I hit our circle at 7:45 AM for a 5K run (9:36 average pace). It was 29° and quite breezy (feels like 22°), but sunny so it wasn’t as bad as it sounds. Even though it was daylight and would have been a great time to hit the trails, my stomach was acting wonky so I kept it close to home.

Unfortunately, about half way through, I notice that familiar pain in my right calf and should have stopped running when I first felt it, but chose to run through it… dumb idea. For the rest of the week I was aware of my calf, but luckily the pain faded as the week wore on.

Once home I stretched for ten minutes and planned to foam roll later in the day, but totally forgot.



I skipped stair intervals during my early morning 1-hour strength training session because I had a date for an afternoon ride with my friend Mary. We hadn’t ridden together since late November on gravel and it was so good to see her again. We rode 34 miles at an average speed of 14.4 MPH. At 58° I rode in shorts, but shocked myself by having to leave my arm sleeves on the entire time. Luckily, my calf felt totally fine my entire ride, but that didn’t surprise me since I wasn’t pounding the pavement.

Once home, I treated my legs to a good rolling out with my Rumble roller (affiliate link).



I knew I should keep it easy after Tuesday’s calf pain while running so I decided to walk and asked Bill if he could join me. Eventually, though, he told me to go on alone because his work was escalating. It  was 52°, breezy, and sunny at 3 PM when I ventured onto our neighborhood trails for a 5K. I did a couple of out-and-backs in case my calf asked me to stop; however, I felt fine.  I’m sure not running and slowing my walking pace to a 15:06 helped.

Back home I stretched for 10 minutes focusing on my legs.



I easily fit in a 1-hour strength training session between early morning work appointments, and later, as with most Fridays, I got in 15 minutes of total body stretching during the stretching segment of the balance and stretching class I teach. Zero people were on the other end and even though I teach it on Facebook Live and can’t see my students, I do enjoy knowing who’s watching as they make comments. It’s amazing the energy I draw from their comments, and as a result, with no one watching I felt off and flat. I leave the classes up on our private group and hope that the class will be watched by some of my students later.



Determined to get back outside for another ride (this time with Bill), we waited around until 1 PM to let the temperature warm up a bit. By the time we rolled out of our driveway it was 45° with a brisk wind and a feels like temperature of 38°. We crawled along the W&OD Trail with the wind in our faces and at times I felt my bike veering to the right as it was pushed by a slight crosswind.

We were pumped that we would have the wind at our backs on our return, but nooo, we were still cutting through strong headwinds – how does that happen? The temperature had  dropped a couple of degrees by the time we finished and I was cold most of the way home. We finished our 40-mile ride with an average speed of 13.4 MPH and I walked into our house amazed at how tired I felt. Of course, this was my longest ride since last fall and I was fighting wind resistance the entire time.


Here’s What You Might Have Missed

In case you skipped checking in on my blog this past week, here’s what you missed…


  • • Is March more like a lion or lamb in your neck of the woods?
  • • Assuming there’s no snow or ice, what’s your low-end cutoff temperature for running outside? For cycling?
  • • Did you run in a race this weekend? If so, was it live or virtual?


And that’s my rundown… Have a great week!




I’m linking up with Deborah at Confessions of a Mother Runner and Kim from Running on the Fly for their Weekly Run Down. Be sure to check out not only the hosts’ posts, but those of the other great bloggers joining in on the fun!


Disclaimer:  This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on the blue product link and then make a purchase, I will receive a small commission for referring you. You will pay no more or less for the product; however, Amazon will show their gratitude for my referral by paying me.